Fiction : Speechless

speechless.JPG
Book: Speechless
Author : Jennifer Mook-Sang
Website http://www.scholastic.ca/books/view/speechless

I forced my feet to the stage and turned around. This was going to be the scariest thing I’d ever done in my whole life. I looked down into the expanse of gleaming eyes and willed myself to focus on the next step ahead. I just had to make it through the next five minutes, word by word. Then it would be over.

Jelly Miles would rather be playing video games with his best friend P.B. than preparing for a speech competition. In fact, he’d rather be doing just about anything else. So he’s as surprised as anyone that he’s taking this year’s competition seriously. At first, it’s for the awesome prize. But when the competition turns ugly, Jelly realizes it’s his chance to finally get the last word with the class know-it-all. With his reputation, self-respect and the friendship he values most on the line, can Jelly find the courage to get up in front of the whole school and show his true self?

Laugh-out-loud funny, Speechless is about standing up to bullying, knowing who your friends are and finding your own unique voice.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/18/2015

    This book was exiting, but it was a lot like another book called Speechless that went along the same sort of plot and lines. I think the author could have made it a bit more original.

    -Amara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/02/2016

    Speechless was very was different from most books I've read. The characters have unique traits and the plot was very odd. -Hugo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/02/2016

    This book was a interesting read. I found the story good and how the book was put together. Nothing was really bad about the book, So it was good.
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/04/2016

    Speechless was a very interesting book it was different from the books I have read so far. The main character was very strange and the ending was the oposite of what I imagined. But over all it was a very well written book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this book was great. I highly recommend it if you like realistic fiction. I like how it tells you that he has a plan but you do not know the plan until you the rest of the characters know. If you don't usually read realistic fiction, this is the bookto get you into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/13/2016

    This was my first book and it was pretty good! It was a book about a kid named Jelly who wants to win a speech competition but has trouble finding a topic. The only thing was the ending was unexpected and it was kind of short. But overall, it was a good book!

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1/17/2016

    This was a good book. I could connect with the characters and I liked the plot line. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes, humor, and suspense.

    Nicolas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this book funny and interesting. It really shows the perspective of the Jelly, like how he feels when he wins the art scholarship (and rubbing it in Veronica's face ;). I like how in the end he won and lost in a way, because he lost the competition, and took it gracefully, and then ended up winning on his own. In all I think it was a good book.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2/23/2016

    I think speechless is a great read! this book has lots of drama and jelly finally stood up for himself. I recommend this book if you like good page turners.

    _victoria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2/23/2016

    I LOVED THIS BOOK!!
    It had a sense of humor and suspense was very interesting.I loved the sanario. In the end Jelly did not win the prize he wished for but in a way Jelly won too. I could feel how Jelly was feeling.
    Great job Jennifer Mook-Sang! :)
    -Miyu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2/23/2016

    I LOVED THIS BOOK!!
    It had a sense of humor and suspense was very interesting.I loved the sanario. In the end Jelly did not win the prize he wished for but in a way Jelly won too. I could feel how Jelly was feeling.
    Great job Jennifer Mook-Sang! :)
    -Miyu

    ReplyDelete