Nonfiction: 10 Rivers that Shaped the World


Book: 10 Rivers that shaped the world
Author: Marlee Peters
Art: Kim Rosen
Link: coming soon...


Navigate the fascinating twists and turns of rivers that have molded our history.
Rivers can be extraordinarily powerful, and not just because of their fast-flowing currents. They can make civilizations rise or crumble, divide cultures or link them together, and even provide crucial clues to where we came from.
Dive into these 10 surprising stories about the power of rivers through the ages, including:

• How the “lucky accident” of the Nile’s unique flooding patterns allowed the culture of Ancient Egypt to flourish in one of the hottest, driest places on earth;
• How medieval robber barons seized—then lost—control of the Rhine;
• Why the Amazon helped scientists discover how species evolve;
• How Livingstone's ill-fated exploration of the Zambezi changed Africa forever...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/08/2016

    I think this was a really good book! It had a really good, easy-to-follow structure. My favourite thing about this is that it introduced each river with a short historical (or not) story. That got me really excited about reading about each river, and I think that was a really good idea.

    -Amara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book, and enjoyed the short stories at the beginning of the description on a river. It made me want to learn more about the river, and how it came to be. The facts themselves are interesting, and informative. In all, the book was interesting, and was every informative.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/24/2016

    I did not really like this book that much because I thought that most of the river stories were repetitive, but it also had good stories about people who depend on them and their origins. So it was good!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/01/2016

    I think this book was a enjoyable read. I really enjoyed the short stories at the beginning of each river. The book taught me all about the rivers and the different cultures. This book had many interesting facts and was very informative.
    -Miyu

    ReplyDelete